bind-users Digest, Vol 2230, Issue 1

Woodworth, John R John.Woodworth at CenturyLink.com
Thu Oct 22 12:45:17 UTC 2015

> From: Harshith Mulky [mailto:harshith.mulky at outlook.com]
>
> Hello John,
>
> > 1.) Are these devices some type of VoIP device?  I've seen many novel DNS
> >     based  scenarios used for VoIP before.
> [Harshith] yes, they are VOIP devices which use "lwresd" to talk to
> external DNS Servers

Harshith, apologies but I have not personally used lwresd.  I believe others
here may have so I can ask around but in any case I believe it is related to
bind9, at least tangentially, so the _unmodified_ version should behave as
you would expect from bind (i.e. no blacklist/ whitelist logic).

This will most likely require support from your vendor.

If by some chance you have shell access with root on the device itself there
may be other options but I recommend contacting your vendor first.

>  2.) I assume the path has been sniffed, are other records used as well, say SRV?
> [Harshith] Yes we sniffed, SRV not used
>
> Is there any concept of DNS PROBE?

Not really, if the server can answer it will answer regardless of record type.

Thanks,
John

> I guess this wasn't a DNS question specifically and more on lwresd daemon.
>
> Sorry to have posted a wrong question
>
> Thanks
> Harshith

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.