monitoring/graphing/tracking named queries

Frank Even lists+isc.org at elitists.org
Fri Nov 13 22:45:56 UTC 2015

What does everyone do for monitoring their DNS traffic, if anything?
I've come to a place where I need to have a good understanding of
general capacity.  For example, how much traffic and types of traffic
individual servers are handling.

I'd also like to get a breakdown of raw # of queries, then types of
queries, and in some cases, the top 20 "busiest hosts" and maybe what
they are hitting the servers with.

dnstop I'm aware provides a lot of this functionality.  But I'm
wondering if anyone out there is aggregating a lot of this data and
how they are going about doing it.  Tutorials for this topic out on
the internets seem to be pretty sparse.  If there is something out
there, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Frank