compile and install from source

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Tue Mar 31 01:32:09 UTC 2015

On Mar 30, 2015, at 2:30 AM, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/30/15 00:35, @lbutlr wrote:
>> Downloaded and compiled bind-9.9.7 (FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE) and it built fine (./configure && make && make install).
>
> On FreeBSD, building software out of the ports is definitely
> recommended.  It does the usual configure and make dance, but you also
> get the benefit of using the package management system, and any OS
> specific patches that might need to be applied.  (Not that there are
> many with BIND).

And I normally do that, however in this specific case it was not possible.

> Can you start the named process "by hand" -- the command line should be
> something like:
>
> # /usr/local/sbin/named -u bind -c /etc/namedb/named.conf \
> 	-t /var/named

Yes, that works without reporting any errors, so the issue appears to be with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named startup script.

> syslogd_flags="-l /var/named/var/run/log"
>
> to /etc/rc.conf and restarting syslogd may get you some better logging
> information.

Don’t see anything logged on either the startup or the failed startup.

However, if I try to check rndc…

# /usr/local/sbin/rndc status
rndc: neither /etc/rndc.conf nor /etc/rndc.key was found

Now, it is true that there is no rndc.conf, but that is true all all three name servers. There is a rndc.key in /var/named/etc/namedb/rndc.conf

I’m not sure why it is looking in (I assume /var/named/etc instead of)  /var/named/etc/namedb.

is named_chrootdir="/var/named" not correct?