AW: Too many connections on the same IP

Stefan.Lasche at t-systems.com Stefan.Lasche at t-systems.com
Wed Mar 4 08:47:59 UTC 2015

Are you using iptables Firewall?
Does the problem only occur on UDP connections to the problematic IP? Or also on TCP connections to the same IP?

I had similar problems (not with bind) when the connection table of iptables "state" module were too small.
Iptables started dropping packets, because it couldn't keep track of new connections.
Since UDP is by definition stateless, the "state" module tries to invent some sort of connection status, based on source- and destination ports.
This sometimes makes trouble. Especially when there are lots of concurrent connections and the same UDP-ports show up over and over again (e.g. when DNS-Clients do not use Source Port Randomization).
You could try to remove the state module (-m state --state NEW) from your UDP firewall rule for BIND and see if that helps.

I believe there are separate state tables for each network interface. This could explain, why your second IP is still responding.

Regards,
Stefan