GSS-TSIG updates with multiple KSPs on the same BIND server?

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Thu Jun 4 22:51:21 UTC 2015

Chiming in to provide moral support due to lack of replies...

On 04/06/2015 06:44, Doug Barton wrote:
> Reading through manuals, HOWTOs, etc. on line it SEEMS possible that
> BIND 9.8+ could be configured to use multiple KSPs.

No experience to share with multiple KSP's/REALMS. Sorry :-(

> What I'd like to do instead is to use the tkey-gssapi-keytab option
> to specify just the keytab file.

but I can confirm that this works. I like to use service-specific
keytabs, so I have the following as the ONLY 'tkey' statement in our
master server's named.conf (currently BIND 9.10.2).

  options {
    tkey-gssapi-keytab "/path/to/bind.keytab";
  };

and then work happily with 'nsupdate -g' from a client with an
authorized UPN in the ACL for relevant zones.

No krb5.conf on the server in this case: just all the right krb bits in DNS.

I don't have time to mess with setting up and testing a second realm but
I just tried adding an alias (AAAA) record for the master server in a
different domain (same realm) and adding a DNS/ service principal for
that name to the KDC and to BIND's keytab on the server. I specified

  > server alias.name.

in nsupdate but the client still picked up the original service
principal (even after restarting BIND). I haven't looked at the code but
I'm guessing the service principal selected may be tied to the server
name 'options {hostname}' or something similar. Perhaps same domain
names in different realms might work?

--
John Marshall