Getting an error on a simple DNS configuration

Samad Agha samad.agha2007 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:34:36 UTC 2015

I put together a simple working DNS server and called it new-dns2 with the
IP address of 206.117.115.93. My configuration files follow:

[root at new-dns2 ~]# cat /etc/named.conf
options {
         directory "/var/named";
 };
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
};
[root at new-dns2 ~]# cat /var/named/db.127.0.0
$TTL 3D
@               IN      SOA     new-dns1.ci.glendale.ca.us
mchavoshi.glendaleca.gov. (
                                1       ; Serial
                                8H      ; Refresh
                                2H      ; Retry
                                4W      ; Expire
                                1D)     ; Minimum TTL
                        NS      new-dns1.ci.glendale.ca.us.
1                       PTR     localhost.
[root at new-dns2 ~]#

So, when I query my new DNS server from itself (206.117.115.93), it
resolves the name to an IP, but when I query my new DNS server from another
Linux box, it fails with the following error message.

[root at new-dns2 ~]# nslookup google.com 206.117.115.93
Server:         206.117.115.93
Address:        206.117.115.93#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   google.com
Address: 216.58.217.206
[root at new-dns2 ~]#

[root at oragrid01 ~]# nslookup google.com 206.117.115.93
Server:         206.117.115.93
Address:        206.117.115.93#53
** server can't find google.com: REFUSED
[root at oragrid01 ~]#

I have stopped FireWall on new-dns2, my DNS server:

[root at new-dns2 ~]# service iptables status
iptables: Firewall is not running.
[root at new-dns2 ~]#

Can someone please tell me what might be the problem?

Many thanks in advance and have a wonderful day/night.

Sincerely,
Samad Agha