How to properly update chroot-bind

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Jul 28 12:52:11 UTC 2015

Since the OP says he's not in Production yet I'd strongly advise moving on to CentOS 7 for multiple reasons.  I has a new base version of BIND and also has a 3.x kernel.

However, there is a learning curve because it also uses systemd rather than Sys V init.   The way bind-chroot runs is significantly different than it was on RHEL6 when you got to RHEL7.   (As noted CentOS versions are compiled from RHEL sources of the same versions.)

As noted previously on this list the version of  BIND you get with each major RHEL release (RHEL5, RHEL6, RHEL7) changes but the base version of BIND never gets updated to later BIND versions within each of these releases.  Instead RedHat backports security and some enhancements into the base they started with and add their own extended versioning.   This is true of CentOS because of its derivation.

There is someone on this list that does compile newer versions of BIND for RHEL so if you search the archive you can find newer versions than are shipped by RHEL/CentOS.

Also CentOS does have extended repositories beyond those RHEL has so you may find something newer there.

CentOS by the way is not "supported" so if you're using CentOS vs RHEL worrying about "supported" shouldn't be an issue for you.   (RHEL is "supported" if you pay for the subscriptions.)