SERVFAIL on stub zone (WAS: dig @server foobar +trace +recurse)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jul 15 10:22:09 UTC 2015

Anne Bennett <anne at encs.concordia.ca> wrote:

> It all looks just peachy, but when I issued:
>   dig @localhost -t ns concordia.ca.
> it gave me a SERVFAIL.  I couldn't find anything abnormal
> in the syslogs.  I can't for the life of my figure out why
> it's unhappy.  How can I debug this?

Try rndc trace 10. The debug logs are written to named.run (not syslog) by
default.

> (I'm syslogging default "syslog_all", minus edns-disabled,
> lame-servers, rpz, and unmatched.)

Excluding lame-servers might be why you aren't seeing any log messages.

Tony.
Southeast Iceland: Variable 3, becoming cyclonic 4 or 5 later. Moderate,
occasionally slight at first. Rain or showers, fog patches. Moderate or good,
occasionally very poor.