dig @server foobar +trace +recurse

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jul 9 14:56:31 UTC 2015

John Miller <johnmill at brandeis.edu> wrote:

> We use stub zones for this purpose - a forwarding zone is what you want if
> you're forwarding to another _recursive_ nameserver (say for caching
> purposes), but if you're just telling your recursors which authoritative
> NSs to use, then stub zones are what you want.

The difference between stub and static-stub is that stub works like the
root zone hints, i.e. the servers in the zone override the ones that you
configure for a stub zone, whereas the servers you configure for a
static-stub zone override the servers in the zone.

Tony.
East Sole, Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea: Variable 3 or 4 becoming southerly 4 or
5, occasionally 6 in Irish Sea. Slight or moderate. Rain for a time except in
east Sole. Moderate or good, occasionally poor in Irish Sea.