dig @server foobar +trace +recurse

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jul 9 14:48:34 UTC 2015

Anne Bennett <anne at encs.concordia.ca> wrote:

> But my parent (call it "example.com") *has* an A record;
> they use it for their web server, I believe.  Will the above
> internally configured A RR not interfere with getting the
> correct data for "host -t a example.com"?  Or does the sentence
> "These records are internally used to resolve names under the
> static-stub zone" imply that they are used *only* for this
> purpose, and never leaked out?

The latter. My toy nameserver has a slightly weird configration with
a recursive view containing static-stub zones pointing at its own
authoritative view, like

zone "cam.ac.uk" { type static-stub; server-addresses { ::1; }; };

And when I dig I get

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0pre-alpha <<>> +noedns +noall +cmd +comments +answer cam.ac.uk
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cam.ac.uk.              3457    IN      A       131.111.150.25

Tony.
Trafalgar: Northerly or northwesterly, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in north.
Moderate, occasionally rough in north. Fair. Good.