dig @server foobar +trace +recurse

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jul 9 10:01:44 UTC 2015

Anne Bennett <anne at encs.concordia.ca> wrote:

> As for the problem itself, I'll probably fix it by setting up
> a forwarding zone for my parent zone on my resolvers, to make
> sure that I always get the internal view for their data.

Note that the target server of a forward zone should offer recursive
service. You will have problems if the target is authoritative-only, and
serves the zone you are forwarding but not some child zone. Better to use
static-stub in that case; that makes BIND do normal iterative resolution
except it overrides the NS records for just that zone, not its children.

(We make our recursive servers authoritative for our zones to avoid
problematic dependency cycles - the kind of horror you find out about
when trying to recover from a power outage.)

Tony.
South Utsire: Northwesterly gale 8 or severe gale 9, decreasing 5 to 7 later.
Rough or very rough, occasionally moderate later. Showers. Good.