dig @server foobar +trace +recurse

Anne Bennett anne at encs.concordia.ca
Wed Jul 8 22:34:30 UTC 2015

I've been trying to debug a problem with dig, and it has finally
occurred to me that, if I understand this correctly, the "+trace"
option essentially overrides the @server specification, except for
the initial query for the root zone nameservers.  (I was using
"+showsearch +trace +recurse".)

Is my understanding correct?

If it is, it might be helpful to add a quick note to the "dig"
manpage, perhaps under "SIMPLE USAGE", "server", something like:

  Note that if when the +trace and +recurse options are in
  use, only the initial query for the root zone uses the
  server specified by "server" (or in /etc/resolv.conf);
  subsequent queries use the authoritative servers in the
  chain of delegation.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285