Allowing recursive queries of 'static-stub' zones

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jan 29 20:58:34 UTC 2015

Firstly allow-query on a static stub does nothing.  The parser
allows it because it has to allow every possible combination and
we missed blocking this at the post parse stage.  The cache only
has one acl.

You should be a master for 31-24.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa and a slave
for 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.  This is by far the easiest way to do RFC
2317 setups.

You ISP should be a master for 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa and a slave for
31-24.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.  All the other slaves of 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa
should be slaves for 31-24.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.

You internal recursive servers should be master/slaves of
2.1.10.in-addr.arpa, 31-24.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa and your internal
zones.  Yes, this is mixing recursive and authoritatives service.
This is fine.

KISS is the principle people should be using.  Stub, static-stub
and forward zones are all over used.

Addionally obscuring names does not help anyone.  ALL and I repeat
ALL it does is stop people checking that what you have told us
matches with reality.  It is not a security issue.  It has never
been a security issue.  Knowing the name and addresses of machines
is not and never has been a security issue.

Even back in the past with .rhosts and rsh if the local nameserver
has a copy if the zones which contained the names in .rhosts you
were secure.  It was when you didn't let people transfer the zone
you were insecure.

Mark

In message <lylhklmu1f.fsf at ensc-virt.intern.sigma-chemnitz.de>, Enrico Scholz w
rites: