BIND response time is relatively high

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Mon Jan 26 21:50:37 UTC 2015

The parameter that is glaringly missing from your list is “recursive-clients”. Do you have that set at default value (1000) or have you bumped it up higher? Since you say that this happens at “peak hours”, recursive-clients is the prime suspect, since it governs how many *simultaneous* recursive requests can be handled. Note that you should see some indication in your logs if you’re running into a recursive-clients limit. Also, you can see the current number of recursive clients, in real time, via the “rndc status” display. Check whether you’re at or close to your limit.

If that doesn’t pan out, I’d also look at this from the networking standpoint. The servers that are experiencing high response times, are they on congested links? High-latency links? Was there some sort of anomalies occurring at the time of the high response times, e.g. high packet loss? Ultimately, you might have to mimic resolution of some of the “slow” queries using a command-line tool like “dig” (with recursion turned off, possibly the +trace option is useful here) and/or take packet captures to identify the source of the slowness. It’s quite possible that your “peak hours” are peak hours for your Internet providers as well, so the network characteristics of your connections may be less than acceptable at those times.

                                                                                                                - Kevin