Automatic flushing of the jnl files

Stuart Browne Stuart.Browne at bomboratech.com.au
Wed Jan 21 22:36:53 UTC 2015

Bob,

Some date and record number details from one of my systems, with 'max-journal-size: 100m'.  Yes, I've changed the zone names.. ;)

NOTE: Add/Del numbers show total / non-dnssec-or-soa related update numbers.

'zone1' is a monitoring test zone that has sub-zone delegation changes a few times a minute:
	dnssec signed:	Yes, NSEC3 with Optout
	zone1 size:		127k
	one1.jnl size:	63M
	date now:		Wed Jan 21 22:12:15 UTC 2015
	oldest jnl soa:	Tue Jan 20 20:42:29 UTC 2015
	total records:	1,233
	no. SOA del's:	52,964
	no. del's:		236,556 / 79,716
	no. add's:		236,604 / 79,713

'zone2' is a public delegation zone that changes as customers demand:
	dnssec signed:	Yes, NSEC3 with Optout
	zone2 size:		176M
	zone2.jnl size:	100M
	date now:		Wed Jan 21 22:15:15 UTC 2015
	oldest jnl soa:	Fri Dec 19 17:22:20 UTC 2014
	total records:	5,917,482
	no. SOA del's:	138,752
	no. del's:		456,870 / 172,427
	no. add's:		478,940 / 194,541

'zone3' is a public authoritative zone that rarely changes:
	dnssec signed:	Yes, NSEC3 with Optout
	zone3 size:		1.6M
	zone3.jnl size:	69M
	date now:		Wed Jan 21 22:27:53 UTC 2015
	oldest jnl soa:	Mon Oct 27 21:19:38 UTC 2014
	total records:	6,984
	no. SOA del's:	35,144
	no. del's:		175,832 / 0
	no. add's:		175,832 / 0

So the journal files can live for quite a while ;)

Stuart