reject invalid dns queries

Daniel Dawalibi daniel.dawalibi at idm.net.lb
Mon Jan 19 14:14:46 UTC 2015

Hello

Invalid DNS queries : non-existent domains that do not resolve to any IP as mentioned in the below example.
We are trying to protect our DNS servers from a number of invalid dns queries targeting our caching server and originated from different source IPs. Is there any way to drop these requests based on the Query Access list from the DNS configuration file (named.conf)?

Example:

Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  DNS IP

> invaliddnsqueries.com
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

*** DNS IP can't find invaliddnsqueries.com: Non-existent domain

DNS query logs:

19-Jan-2015 15:44:08.519 queries: client IP#49791 (invaliddnsqueries.com): view zones: query: invaliddnsqueries.com IN A + (DNS IP)
19-Jan-2015 15:45:00.214 queries: client IP#49791 (invaliddnsqueries.com): view zones: query: invaliddnsqueries.com IN A + (DNS IP)
19-Jan-2015 15:46:08.100 queries: client IP#49791 (invaliddnsqueries.com): view zones: query: invaliddnsqueries.com IN A + (DNS IP)

Regards
Daniel