How to alias a domain

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 16 15:26:04 UTC 2015

On 16/01/2015 15:07, John wrote:
> On 1/16/2015 8:59 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
>> On 16/01/2015 13:00, John wrote:
>>> But for this to work I would need  to enable recursion on the
>>> authoritative server for  masters
>>
>> Why?
>>
> Because the last time I tried it, it did not work!

Authoritative servers don't need to enable recursion to use DNAME.
They'll either serve a DNAME (to DNAME-capable recursive clients) or a
synthesised CNAME (to DNAME-incapable).

DNAME might not be working, but whatever the reason, it's not because
your authoritative isn't recursing.

And yes, doing recursion on an auth server isn't a good idea.

> I have just tried it again and I don't get the answers I expect? I see
> the DNAME but the system does not seem to be following it.

More details please. What names do you have in the zones, what queries
are you making, and what results are you getting?