Time stamp in query log

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Fri Jan 9 08:37:35 UTC 2015

Hi Divya

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 12:26:38PM +0530, Divya wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are facing misbehaviour of Time stamp in  query log since January2015.
> We are using RHEL 6.2 and bind version 9.9.5-P1 for  DNS Server. We are in
> the IST time zone.
> Our Server time is showing correct time but query log  time stamp is showing
> ten & half hour delay.
>
> Can anybody help regarding...

The query log goes through the BIND logging facility that prints the
localtime in the log message (not UTC) although the timezone is not
included in the timestamp.

If the timestamp is consistently off by 10.5 hours, check the timezone
in which the named process started. This could be different from the
timezone set in your current environment. Also double-check the
machine's clock configuration. Did the timestamp work properly before?
Was any config changed on the machine that could cause this?

		Mukund