BIND w/ Lync?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Tue Feb 3 05:51:51 UTC 2015

We have a Lync 2013 environment with all of its DNS records living
within our primary domain (esri.com).  I have a need to override all of
the Lync related DNS records so that they resolve differently for a set
of client IP's (clients which connect via VPN).

Unfortunately, the only solution I'm really seeing right now is an ugly
one -- setting up a new view for this set of clients and then creating
25+ zones -- one zone per record I want to override (so that the
primary domain -- esri.com, still gets handled correctly).  Maybe I can
get away with fewer overrides, but right now that's the size of the
list I have.  Even 10-15 isn't pretty from a management standpoint.

Maybe I could somehow do this with RPZ?  Hmm.  We also have some F5's
with the GTM module which I *believe* would let us do some DNS type
overriding, but have never dug into it before.

Using stock Red Hat provided BIND on RHEL 6.x.

Thanks,
Ray