Cloud DNS providers for secondary DNS

Michelangelo De Simone michel at ngelo.eu
Wed Dec 30 01:36:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 04:40 PM, Diggins Mike wrote:

> What happens if I do one without the other? I guess I don't fully
> understand the relationship between the name servers listed in the zone
> versus the ones found in my domain record. I'm running BIND locally, if
> that matters.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely; for a correct
master/slave configuration you usually need:

1. the NS records have to point toward all the nameservers that are
authoritative for your zone (primary and secondary/ies)
2. your slave nameserver(s) should be aware that they're slave for the
specified zone and they need to know who the master is
3. your master nameserver should allow AXFR (zone transfer) toward the
slave server(s)

Generally speaking your master should never allow zone transfers, saved
the explicitly defined slave server(s); also, in order to avoid
unecessary polling, you may think of enabling the "notify" options from
your master toward your slaves.

An excellent tutorial might be found on [1]. I don't know whether this
answers your questions.:)

[1]
http://www.microhowto.info/howto/configure_bind_as_a_slave_dns_server.html
--