putting several master DNS hosts behind a vip

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 10:04:46 UTC 2015

On 09/12/15 23:32, blrmaani wrote:
> Hi, I would like to put 4 DNS masters behind a vip and have several
> slaves doing the zone transfer from the VIP-IP. Is this normal?

In my experience no, this is not normal.

You might consider putting a "virtual" or "service" IP on your master(s)
that you can move around to new locations during re-org, DR or other
scenarios without having to reconfigure slaves - this is what we do.

> The usual approach is to have slaves getting zone transfers from
> multiple masters. What is the disadvantage of having slaves using
> just the vip and have all masters behind the vip?

Someone has already mentioned NOTIFY and the return XFR not going to the
same server, but more generally the fact that it's not necessary - DN
supports XFR from multiple masters - means you're introducing a feature,
adding complexity to the system, and without clear value, this is
usually a bad idea.