Bind bind high recv-q

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Dec 4 12:34:07 UTC 2015

Søren Andersen <SOAN at stofa.dk> wrote:

> I'm experiencing some strange problems with my bind installation. - I
> notice my bind recv-q is quite high sometimes.. therefore my DNS clients
> can experience DNS lookup to take 1-4 secs. My bind is running on a 4
> core vm I VMware with 8Gb ram. - At peak I receive app. 700-800 QPS. -
> The load is 20-40% on each CPU core. - I've also configured 2 RPZ zones.

Is your server an open resolver being used as part of a DDoS attack?

Do you have compromised client machines running malware that hammers your
server?

Find out where the queries are coming from using netflow or tcpdump or
query logging.

Tony.
Southeast Iceland: Southeasterly 6 to gale 8, becoming cyclonic 7 to severe
gale 9, then veering westerly gale 8 to storm 10, perhaps violent storm 11
later. High or very high later. Wintry showers. Moderate or poor, occasionally
very poor.