transfer of 'example.com/IN' from 9.10.11.12#53: failed while receiving responses: connection reset

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Dec 2 02:10:29 UTC 2015

On 12/01/2015 08:30 AM, Luis Eduardo C. Clemente wrote:
>    Here is the issue. We currently have 2 zones (example.com and
> sample.com - not real names due confidential purposes).

F.Y.I. If you are obfuscating names, please use (fairly) well documented
documentation domains.  "example.com" (like you have) or "example.net"
or "example.org".  The same goes for IPs, 192.0.2.0/24 - Test Net 1,
198.51.100.0/24 - Test Net 2, and 203.0.113.0/24 - Test Net 3.  ;-)

>    The thing is that both zones are on the same Master DNS and have the
> same configuration on named.conf. Both zones can be transferred to other
> slaves normally but only to a specific server only one zone is
> transferred and return the connection reset to the other zone.

Presuming that the problem is not configuration related, I would
immediately wonder if there is something in the network that is
preventing the transfer of the problematic zone.

How big (# of RR) is the zone that transfers properly?  What about the
problematic zone?

I'd probably go for TCPDump and / or Wireshark to analyze the transfer
that is failing.  You will probably want to check both ends.  It would
be really nice if you can capture from both ends at the same time to
compare them.

I half way expect that something is different about your problematic
zone.  Either you can't successfully send large (> 512 Byte) queries /
sending the data but the receiver not seeing it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die