Troubleshooting Information

Bob McDonald bmcdonaldjr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 16:55:01 UTC 2015

If I set this up as follow, it works.

view bind chaos {
    recursion no;
    allow-query { 127.0.0.1; none; };
    zone  authors.bind ch { type master; database "_builtin authors";  };
    zone hostname.bind ch { type master; database "_builtin hostname"; };
    zone  version.bind ch { type master; database "_builtin version";  };
    zone     id.server ch { type master; database "_builtin id";       };
};

Queries from 127.0.0.1 are answered correctly, queries from anywhere else
are met with a REFUSED reply.

However, the answers show as coming from view "bind" in the statistics.
There is also a view named "_bind" which seems to serve those same zones.
(named won't start if I try to name the view "_bind".)

I can get answers from the zones in view "_bind" if I accept/reject via the
match-clients statement. If I also remove the zones from view "bind", it
returns a SERFAIL to queries for selected devices in that view of class
chaos. I think I understand this last one.

Setting recursion off does not seem to affect the warning message generated
by omitting the root hints zone for class chaos.

Bob