DNS Negative Caching

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Thu Aug 27 14:08:59 UTC 2015

>         on the DNS Zone file we have these records
>         $ORIGIN e164.arpa.
>         @   IN     SOA  picardvm2.e164.arpa. e164-contacts.e164.arpa.  (
>                                          2002022404 ; serial
>                                          3H ; refresh
>                                          15 ; retry
>                                          1w ; expire
>         *3h* ; minimum
>                                         )

I wasn't really following this thread, but now that I see this, I would
like to add that the "expire" timer is also used as the default TTL for
resource records that do not have one specified, and if there is not an
explicit $TTL statement in the zone file.

Personally, I doubt that a 1 week TTL is a good idea.

AlanC
--
When I do still catch the odd glimpse, it's peripheral; mere fragments
of mad-doctor chrome, confining themselves to the corner of the eye.