BIND9 Feature Request: 'fowarders' priority & round-robin pools

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Mon Aug 24 18:10:34 UTC 2015

Forwarders are selected based on an RTT(round-trip-time)-based algorithm, so none of this configuration complexity should be necessary from a performance/availability standpoint. The algorithm will choose faster forwarders over slower ones, and penalization/eventual-redemption of failed/non-responding forwarders is built into the algorithm. It's similar to the NS-selection algorithm; in fact, it might be a common server-selection routine that handles both situations.

Have you considered the option of not forwarding *at*all*? If your BIND instances have direct access to the Internet DNS, then forwarding isn't usually a good choice anyway. As a side benefit, talking directly to the authoritative nameservers should allay the privacy concerns associated with talking through a third party.

										- Kevin