Help DNS

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Mon Aug 24 03:05:09 UTC 2015

On 8/23/15 8:30 PM, Daniel Ryšlink wrote:

> A few pointers - try to use the recommended YYYYMMDDnn format for SERIAL
> in SOA. Also try not to use nslookup.

Half of this I agree with.  Half I do not.

The serial number is just a number, as long as you increment it, the
"format" is completely up to you.  I like using the epoch date if I'm
updating via script, or n+1 where n was the previous serial number if
I'm editing by hand.

Never, EVER use nslookup.

AlanC
--
When I do still catch the odd glimpse, it's peripheral; mere fragments
of mad-doctor chrome, confining themselves to the corner of the eye.