Can I run two name servers on one host with two IP addresses?

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Aug 20 15:22:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 09:50 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 02:07:57PM +0200, Robert Senger wrote:
> > There are a number of providers out there offering secondary
> > dns services for free or for a few bucks/month. Even DNSSEC
> > is possible for free.
>
> This is good news!  I knew there were several good choices for free
> DNS hosting, but this is the first I heard of them supporting signed
> zones.
>
> https://acc.rollernet.us/help/dns/secondary.php
>
> Are there others?  I saw another one amongst your NS hosts, but that
> seems to be your own domain.  (If you're offering secondary NS for
> free, please do mention your service here.)

Just for informational purposes...
I offer this as a paid service. Site is https://secdns.posix.co.za.
Secondaries: London (TeleHouse) and Johannesburg.
IDN aware (Puny/UTF8 names), IPv6 Connected, TSIG Management system
(supported/encouraged), DNSSEC aware (can view your DNSKEY records -
does not Sign domains).

Cost is R3 (Three South African Rand) a month per domain. That's about
US$ 3 a year.  For five or less names, I probably would not bother
charging. I've also done "Service Swaps".

Its always a good idea to have your Nameservers geographically dispersed
to try to reduce the number of any single point of failure. ie - not
just same Machine/Rack/DataCenter but also not the same City, IP-Block,
ASN, Transit Provider - etc.

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496