[OT] Re: configuration error in lists.isc.org

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Aug 7 06:29:22 UTC 2015

>> On Aug 6, 2015, at 4:25 PM, Heiko Richter <email at heikorichter.name
>> <mailto:email at heikorichter.name>> wrote:
>>> Whenever I post something to the list (I'm not using SMTP, I'm
>>> using a usenet server to post to comp.protocols.dns.bind), my
>>> postmaster address receives DMARC notifications from list members
>>> that have employed this wonderful protocol on their servers,
>>> telling me my message had been rejected for violating my SPF
>>> policy.
>>>
>>> My SPF record doesn't include lists.ist.org
>>> <http://lists.ist.org/>, of course and it never will. Furthermore
>>> it ends with "-all" so all my messages to the list are being
>>> rejected by list members who have spf aware servers.

SPF must only check envelope address, not header From: address
- it was never designed to do the latter.

On 07.08.15 02:54, Heiko Richter wrote:
>Just found another solution, that will help with any DMARC-aware
>server that knows Sender-ID. I just published:
>heikorichter.name.      60      IN      TXT     "spf2.0/pra ?all"
>
>This will force DMARC to check only the envelope sender, which is
>changed by lists.isc.org as /dev/rob0 pointed out earlier....

How did your SenderID record look before?

Note that it's the SenderID specification that is horribly broken (btw, just
because of mailing lists) and further any protocol that uses it (does
DMARC?)

Blaming the ISC mailserver for not changing header address is blaming it for
doing something (all?) list servers did years before microsoft came with the
braindead SenderID specification that broke this behaviour.

"One World. One Web. One Program." - Microsoft promotional advertisement
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer!" - Adolf Hitler