bind-9.10.0-P2 memory leak?

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Tue Oct 14 17:31:46 UTC 2014

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Thomas Schulz wrote:
>
> > I restarted bind 9.9.6 with a max-cache-size of 30M. We have 3 views.
> > The inital process size was 36 MB. The process grew to 184 MB. It grew
> > to 596 MB without the max-cache-size being set and was still growing
> > when I restarted it.  BUT when I now do an rndc dumpdb -cache, the
> > named_dump.db file contains only the line
> >
> > ; Dump complete
> >
> > and nothing else.
> >
> > So, if you put any limit on the cache size, you will end up with an empty
> > cache. I do believe that there is a bug that needs to be fixed.
>
> I wasn't able to reproduce this with 9.9.6 (or a recent master).  Can
> you please send your configuration (like named-checkconf -px) to
> bind9-bugs AT isc.org? Thank you.

I sent the configuration, hopefully in a usable format. Note that my
concern is not specifically with the cache. I was investigating the
cache as a possable cause of the unlimited growth in memory usage that
I am seeing. The various experiments that I have done seem to point to
the cache as the cause of the problem. See also the posts with the
subject 'Process size versus cache size'.

To the originator of this thread. Sorry if I have hijacked your thread.
It is possible that the problem you are seeing has a different cause than
the problem I am seeing. Perhaps you should also send in a report to
bind9-bugs AT isc.org.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com