Forward vs Authoritative traffic

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Fri Nov 7 20:56:41 UTC 2014

If your nameserver can get the info equally reliably either way, I'd question why you're using forwarding in the first place.

Do you think you're going to get some sort of performance benefit from that?

But, to answer your question, in the absence of taking a packet capture, you could always define all the authoritative nameservers as "blackhole" or "bogus" in your named.conf and see if the names still resolve (this assumes that the forwarders are *not* the same, or a subset, of the auth servers. If they are the same, or a subset, then I *really* would question why you're forwarding in the first place, since in that case the queries are going to *exactly*the*same*place*, and all you're basically doing is manipulating the value of the "RD" bit).

												- Kevin