forwarding zone to another DNS server problem

houguanghua houguanghua at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 09:42:23 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Can bind support forwarding zone to another DNS server? In my testing, for loacl name servers, it can. But for authority name servers, it can't.

I have a authorative DNS server  which are authorative for the domain "test.com".  I would now want the machine just forward all incoming queries for "test.com" to the 83.248.21.12 server. The named.conf is as follows:
options {
  directory "/var/cache/bind";
  version "none";
  allow-recursion {"none";};
 };
zone "test.com" in{
type forward;
forwarders {83.248.21.12;};
};

The name server (83.248.21.12) isn't registered, but is configured as a normal authority name server.
The named.conf is as follows:
options {
  directory "/var/cache/bind";
  version "none";
  allow-recursion {"none";};
 };
zone "test.com" in{
type master;
file zone/test.com.db";
};
This is the test.com.db file content:
$ORIGIN test.com.
$TTL 1W
@   IN  SOA     ns1.test.com. postmaster.test.com. (
                               6            ; serial number
                               3600         ; refresh   [1h]
                               600          ; retry     [10m]
                               86400        ; expire    [1d]
                               3600 )       ; min TTL   [1h]
;
      IN     NS      ns1.test.com.
www           IN      A       172.22.2.150

But the problem is that the any dns record can't be resolved when querying it for example www.test.com A record. What's wrong?

Reagrds,
Guanghua