Reply Code 0x8083 vs 0x8080

Jiann-Ming Su su_js1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 07:04:37 UTC 2014

> On Friday, May 30, 2014 12:34 AM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> >
> In message <1401424053.51486.YahooMailNeo at web121604.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>,
> Jiann-
> Ming Su writes:
>>

>>  Looking through the traces of the NXDomain vs NoError responses.  The
>>  NoError response includes the list of the Internet root servers.  This
>>  would definitely be a valid response for a "." query.  I wonder
> if I've
>>  run into a bug with this particular version of BIND where it ignores or
>>  changes the actual query with a "." lookup.  Hence the NoError
> response
>>  with the full list of root servers.
>
> Apply Occams Razor.  The client made a "." query.
>
> Named returns the query it was asked.  It it pointless to return
> anything else as the client is supposed to check and discared answers
> that don't match.

Except in the packet capture, both the response and query packets clearly shows the query to be for the SRV record, not for ".".  This is a pretty old version of BIND9, so I'm not going to file a bug report.  I appreciate your insights; they helped me work through what we're observing with this app.  It's unfortunate that these applications are still pointing to two generation old DNS infrastructure.  The risks of not updating.