Multi-master (HA)

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri May 9 19:01:06 UTC 2014

> ...if anyone has specific
> thoughts on how to make this sort of thing easier in BIND -- even
> just at
> the level of "boy, it irritates me that I can't make BIND do <X>" --
> such comments will fall on welcoming ears.

I agree that it would be nice if effort were made into making flipping
masters straight-forward, i.e., not require a change to every zone
declaration
and not force the operator to deal with zone files that suddenly need to
switch between binary and ascii.  (There may be good ways to do this now
that I'm unaware of.) (I've wondered why bind doesn't simply write an
ascii copy of the zone file in addition to the binary copy.)

Running multiple dynamic-dns masters would be absolutely fantastic
except
of course when it didn't work.  Seems like a reason to have multiple
masters is to handle the case where some are unreachable, in
which case keeping them in synch becomes interesting.  If the main
point is to eliminate single points of failure, a "three masters
with quorum" system might serve the purpose.

I like the idea of configuring zone information in a zone, and think
it would be fun to be on the team brainstorming how to guard against
sneaky config attacks.

John Wobus
Cornell University IT