Point domain name of my zone to name in somebody else's zone?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 9 00:01:58 UTC 2014

In message <536C0392.3020200 at hireahit.com>, Dave Warren writes:
> On 2014-05-08 15:09, Mark Andrews wrote:

> >> Indeed. Were such a thing implemented, I'd think it would be smart to
> >> have the authoritative server return both the ANAME and A records,
> >> allowing a compliant resolver to do it's own A record lookup to find an
> >> appropriate CDN endpoint, while older resolvers with no concept of ANAME
> >> would simply ignore it and use the (possibly-less-than-optimal) A record.
> >>
> >> Arguably adjusting CNAME to allow it to coexist with other record types
> >> might be a better long-term solution, perhaps allowing CNAME to coexist
> >> with SOA, NS and DNAME records?
> > But that does not help when you want a MX record at the apex or
> > some other record at the apex.
>
> I'd argue that it does -- Since the record is now CNAME'd, the MX record
> is now under the control of the destination of the CNAME record and MX
> records can still be set. This is no different than if I CNAME'd
> dog.example.com to cat.example.com, email to @dog.example.com will flow
> to the MX records of cat.example.com.
>
> Not ideal? Well no, it's not. Don't use a CNAME if you don't want to
> delegate everything, instead use a HTTP/HTTPS level redirect to www.
> which is properly distributed.
>
> ANAME records might be more flexible, but since they require
> authoritative servers to gain resolver-like capabilities to provide
> backward compatible A-records, I believe that the concept will be a
> non-starter outside of proprietary solutions that just update A records
> dynamically.

ANAME is service agnostic.  If it exists it should be implemented in
the applications not the nameserver.  A and AAAA should be additional
data.

> > SRV or a HTTP specific record like MX is the correct solution.
> > However it requires browser vendors to be on board change the initial
> > lookup and then fallback to A/AAAA if the record does not exist.
>
> Agreed, and I touched upon this in one of my earlier replies. I wish you
> the best of luck pushing the world toward using SRV records; it would
> solve a lot of problems, but they seem to scare too many people.
>
> I actually think that MX records were a boneheaded thing to do, had
> email started using SRV records in the first place we might be in a
> position now where using SRV records is the defacto standard if not the
> actual standard for all services. (No offense to the folks that made MX
> records happen, I realize that in historical context it was the correct
> decision and it solved the very immediate problem -- I'm just saying
> that in an ideal world, SRV records instead of MX records would solved
> the same problem in a more generic fashion, and would have pushed us to
> a better place for other protocols)

MX works for wildcards.  SRV doesn't work for wildcards.

"* CNAME <httpserver>" is often used which is why SRV is not
such a good fit.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org