Point domain name of my zone to name in somebody else's zone?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu May 8 21:13:54 UTC 2014

>DNSMadeEasy calls this an "ANAME" record, internally they just lookup
>the destination's IP and cache it, updating it as needed.
>
>It works, but it would be nice if this could be done in DNS. Sadly, it
>can't, and probably won't in our lifetimes.

I do a similar thing in my DNS crudware, a pseudo-entry in the zone,
every time the background update script runs, it does A and AAAA
lookups and puts the results in the real zone, bumping the SOA serial
if the result changed since last time.  It's a crock, but one that we
all seem to want.

I suppose we could invent something like an AAAAANAME (that's A and
AAAA name), that worked like a restricted CNAME and does an indirect
lookup only for A or AAAA requests.  Or overimplement it with a bitmap
of the RR types to indirect for.

R's,
John