Slave zone intermittently not refreshing

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu May 8 13:45:29 UTC 2014

Mart van de Wege <mvdwege at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> writes:
> > Mart van de Wege <mvdwege at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> How do I go about troubleshooting this issue to get a better idea of
> >> what is going on?
> >
> > Are there any messages in your log containing the string " refresh: "?
>
> I have a couple, all of them 'retry limit for master $foo exceeded'.

That implies that the SOA query (which checks if an XFR is necessary) is
timing out.

Try running the following on the secondary to see what fails. If you have
a TSIG key you will need to use the -k or -y options.

	dig soa $zone @$master
	dig +noedns soa $zone @$master
	dig +tcp soa $zone @$master
	dig axfr $zone @$master

A lot of the refresh failure logging happens at debug level 1 so you can
get more details by running `rndc trace 1`.

Tony.
Southwest Forties, Cromarty, Forth: Cyclonic 3 or 4, occasionally 5. Slight,
occasionally moderate. Rain or showers. Good, occasionally poor.