Point domain name of my zone to name in somebody else's zone?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 8 04:32:16 UTC 2014

In article <mailman.160.1399503258.26362.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 "Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng." <lkchen at ksu.edu> wrote:

> Oh...I misread the question....guess DNAME isn't what's wanted....
>
> just the apex to somewhere else....
>
> Yeah...I currently just look up the name and enter A records.  But, I've
> wondered if there was another record type that allowed it to detect address
> changes of the requested 'CNAME'....so I wouldn't have to.  Especially, if the
> requested 'CNAME' is a name that is known to change its IP...

Have the apex point to your own webserver, and have it send an HTTP
redirect to www.domain.com, which is CNAMEd to the third party domain.

> Either that...or come up with a way to script it.

That's what we did when I was at Akamai. Their custom DNS servers have
an option to resolve the domain apex by looking up another name and
returning its IP.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA