RPZ and www.rackspace.com

David A. Evans Evans_David_A at cat.com
Wed May 7 15:19:37 UTC 2014

        I've done some more troubleshooting with info from people that
responded directly to me and not to the list.    This can be reproduced
without any RPZ loaded by mimicking the behavior of the RPZ lookups
required to validate NSDNAME lines.

Issue these 'digs' within 30 second of each other.

dig www.wip.rackspace.com
www.wip.rackspace.com.  30      IN      A       173.203.44.116

dig www.wip.rackspace.com  NS
(NXDOMAIN)

dig www.wip.rackspace.com
(NXDOMAIN)

        I think this is another case of miss configured load balancers.
Shouldn't the NS record lookup respond with a NODATA response and not
NXDOMAIN?

        That still doesn't really answer why a site as big as
www.rackspace.com isn't getting hit with support issues on their web site.
 It only took us about 4 hours into our first production day with
NSDNAME's in our RPZ to get a call about www.rackspace.com not loading.

David A. Evans
Enterprise IP/DNS Management
Network Infrastructure Tools and Services
Evans_David_A at cat.com