CNAME to an external domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Mar 25 14:11:56 UTC 2014

On 3/25/2014 9:01 AM, Ian Braun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a bind server (v9.6) that's hosts mydomain.com
> <http://mydomain.com>.  I'm trying to create a CNAME for
> host.mydomain.com <http://host.mydomain.com> to point to
> host.otherdomain.com <http://host.otherdomain.com>.  I don't host
> otherdomain.com <http://otherdomain.com>.
>
> My entry currently reads:
> sip    IN   CNAME sip.otherdomain.com <http://sip.otherdomain.com>.
>
> But my DNS server isn't resolving it.  It just returns a list of root
> nameservers.
Are you *just* getting a list of root nameservers (i.e. a totally
*empty* Answer Section)? What RCODE is being returned? Or, are you
perhaps getting the CNAME in the Answer Section? If you're getting the
CNAME, then that's all another nameserver needs in order to resolve the
name.

Or, were you expecting that your authoritative nameserver would be
performing recursion for clients?

> I've searched this mailing list and found threads that said this
> should work.  But also saw a post that said this isn't allowed
> (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_27656615.html)

I couldn't see the incorrect answer, to mock it, since it's behind a
paywall.

                                                 - Kevin