localhoast A record?

Marco Davids (SIDN) marco.davids at sidn.nl
Fri Mar 21 16:09:55 UTC 2014

On 21-03-14 14:03, Casey Deccio wrote:

>     I've adopted a number of zones and most of them contain "localhost in
>     a 127.0.0.1" records. I'm curious what current RFC standards state and
>     what the community considers best practice.

> I would take a look at the query logs for the zones in question.  You
> might be surprised at how many queries are being made by systems that
> are applying a suffix from the search list because of the lack of of an
> entry for localhost in the hosts file or the mishandling thereof.

To me, an NXDOMAIN-reply seems better than an answer with an A-record to
127.0.0.1 (because that won't be an incentive to fix an apparently
broken situation).

My advice: forget about localhost entries in your zone files, unless it
concerns a special situation, such as domains that are part of your
search-list. You may want to consider adding it in such a case (although
I don't do so). But if you do, don't forget to add an AAAA-record for
::1 as well ;-)

Regards,

--
Marco