localhoast A record?

Mitchell Kuch mitch at basejp.com
Fri Mar 21 12:50:19 UTC 2014

Hello -

I've adopted a number of zones and most of them contain "localhost in
a 127.0.0.1" records. I'm curious what current RFC standards state and
what the community considers best practice. RFC1537 states that zones
should contain a localhost record, but it seems that practice was
obsoleted by RFC1912. Is anyone aware of negative consequences with
leaving such records in place, perhaps a XSS vulnerability?

I'm itching to remove the records but thought I'd check to see if
there was a legacy use case.

Regards,
Mitchell