Too many open files

Hinst, Robert RHinst at lightower.com
Fri Mar 14 11:52:00 UTC 2014

Running bind-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 on CentOS 5.5 and I'm constantly seeing the following in my BIND logs:

general: error: isc_socket_create: fcntl/reserved: Too many open files

But I don't see why. Named only has 583 files open and I upped the max to 90000 in /etc/security/limits.conf. Has anyone encountered this before or have any insight?

# lsof -n -u named|wc -l
583

# su -s /bin/sh -c 'ulimit -a' named
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 52223
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 90000
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) unlimited

Rob Hinst
Network Architect
Lightower Fiber Networks

+ 631 300 3795 [office]