Internal clients' queries for "myhostname." get sent to forwarders. Why?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at pseudoterminal.org
Mon Mar 10 19:58:26 UTC 2014

Hi list,

I hope I succeeded in articulating the problem we are facing and I
apologize for the length of this post.

Short version:

Using Bind 9 on Ubuntu 12.04 for internal DNS (master for zones
"dc01.example.at.", "7.1.10.in-addr.arpa.", ...) with forwarders (ISP's
nameservers) for everything outside of internal zones.

The Problem: Clients, when running "hostname -f" or "hostname -i",
create queries for "myhostname." which are sent to the forwarders which
respond with NXDomain. This generates load on the forwarders and exposes
our internally used hostnames, both of which seems unnecessary and
possible dangerous.

This doesn't seem like normal or healthy behaviour. What can we do to
stop it?

Long version:

In our internal networks we are running Bind 9 on Ubuntu 12.04
(9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.8). The nameserver is configured to be master
for the zone "dc01.example.at" (obviously we don't use "example", but
the other domain components are real). It also serves in-addr.arpa zones
for the internal IP addresses (7.1.10.in-addr.arpa., and so on).
Recursion is enabled for internal clients.

The internal nameserver uses our ISP's nameservers as forwarders for
everything outside of the zones for which it is master.

All clients in our internal networks have names like
"auth01.mgmt.dc01.example.at" or "puppet02.dev.dc01.example.at". All
clients' resolvers are configured with one nameserver and multiple
search domains, like this:

# /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost

# /etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 10.1.7.42
search mgmt.dc01.example.at dc01.example.at

Clients are Ubuntu and Debian machines (10.04, 12.04, Lenny, Wheezy).

This all works fine (and has for years now), but recently we became
aware of the fact that whenever a client system runs "hostname -f" or
"hostname -i" it will ask the internal nameserver for hostname plus each
search domain (which is fine), AND for the plain hostname with a
trailing dot (which is not fine). I can see this from the nameserver's
query logs and from tcpdump.

For example, on "auth01.mgmt.dc01.example.at" the nameserver gets asked for:

auth01.mgmt.dc01.example.at.
auth01.dc.example.at.
auth01.

The nameserver replies correctly with the client's FQDN or IP address
for the first query, as well as with NXDomain for the second query (also
correct) but then forwards the third query ("auth01.") to the configured
forwarders (our ISPs nameservers). This naturally returns NXDomain.

I am confused and worried by this behaviour. Since we have quite a few
hosts in our internal networks (all running Puppet agents) the
forwarders get hit with requests for "hostname." like above multiple
times per second. It also exposes to the forwarders the hostnames of our
internal machines, which isn't great.

Is this the expected behaviour? What can we do to stop our internal
nameserver from forwarding queries for "hostname." to our ISPs nameservers?

I have not included any Bind configuration or zone files here, but I can
provide anything needed to facilitate debugging this issue. Please let
me know!

Thanks in advance for any help and pointers, particularly RTFM. I have
had a really hard time googling this :(

Andreas