Simple max-journal-size question

Bischof, Ralph F. (MSFC-IS40)[NICS] ralph.bischof at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 11 19:59:48 UTC 2014

I just can't seem to find the answer to such a simple question (BIND9.9).

I have a very active dynamic zone that now has an incredibly large journal file. I would like to use the max-journal-size parameter in the zone declaration to keep this from happening again. I understand that I can freeze the zone, delete the journal, and then thaw the zone. My question deals with when the parameter in the named.conf will take effect. Will an 'rndc reconfig' be sufficient, or must I stop/start named for the parameter to be read for the zone?

Thanks in advance,
RB