Bad owner name on hidden primary

Raymond Drew Walker Ray.Walker at nau.edu
Mon Jun 9 22:18:00 UTC 2014

Our current workaround is to add the following to NAMED configuration:

  check-names master ignore;

Is there a more preferred solution?

…or perhaps a different way of looking at this issue?
—
Raymond Walker
Software Systems Engineer StSp.
ITS - Northern Arizona University

From: Ray Walker <ray.walker at nau.edu<mailto:ray.walker at nau.edu>>
Date: Monday, June 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org<mailto:bind-users at lists.isc.org>" <bind-users at lists.isc.org<mailto:bind-users at lists.isc.org>>
Subject: Bad owner name on hidden primary

Running BIND 9.9.5:

On moving to a hidden primary setup, dynamic updates to zones we are master for with “unallowed characters” (underscores in our case) have started to fail with the error "bad owner name (check-names)” In the past (pre hidden primary) they did not fail.

In the past we have not used the ‘check-names’ option, so behavior should be default… odd since the default behavior is to fail for master zones.

Could this have something to do with the SOA of the zone no longer being the actual primary?
—