Problem dlz_mysql_driver

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Fri Jun 6 10:39:10 UTC 2014

On 04/06/2014 08:25, Claudia Koch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a installation of bind 9.4.0 with dlz_mysql_driver and I have a
> zone test.de. In this zone I have a record
>
> *.dev IN A 1.2.3.4
>
> With dig a.dev.test.de I've get the answer 1.2.3.4.
>
> Now I like to do a update to debian 7.0 and I compile the source-packet
> (bind 9.8.4) with dlz_mysql_driver.
>
> Everything works fine, but I do not receive a answer for the wild card.
>
> The db-query from the new bind switch from "a.dev" directly to "*". The
> old bind switch from "a.dev" to "*.dev".
>
> I'm at a loss what to do. Can anybody help?
>
> Claudia

Are there any records (or delegation to subdomain) for
<something>.a.dev, even though a.dev itself doesn't exist explicitly?

If yes, then the wildcard won't provide the answer, because the
existence of <something>.a.dev creates what's called an 'empty non
terminal'.  Wildcards only match where the record doesn't exist - but
ENTs do count as 'existence'.

Cathy