SPF RR type

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jun 5 23:02:44 UTC 2014

In article <mailman.348.1401978387.26362.bind-users at lists.isc.org> you write:
>Are SPF RR types finally dead or not? I’ve read through rfc7208 it appears that they are:

They're dead as in nobody looks at them other than legacy software
that hasn't been updated.  The SPF record was a screwup from beginning
to end.  By the time 4408 came out, there was already a lot of running
SPF software using the badly designed TXT record.  The mail community
never wanted the SPF record but it was added reluctantly to 4408 due
to filibustering by the DNS crowd.  There was never a plausible
transition plan for publishing SPF records, and by the time 7208 came
out it was clearly time to put type 99 out of its misery.*

It's extremely unlikely that the RRTYPE will ever be reused, so you
can publish them if you want, but don't expect anyone to pay attention
to them.  Perhaps they can be reused for steganography.

R's,
John

* - Mark doubtless feels differently.