own IPv6 zones but no IPv6 uplink

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jul 11 23:19:04 UTC 2014

In message <53C009D4.4000503 at imperial.ac.uk>, Phil Mayers writes:
> On 11/07/14 16:45, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> > We have a local DNS server providing local IPv6 zones (fd44:...).
> >
> > The server itself is reachable via IPv4 and IPv6 but has no IPv6 uplink.
> >
> > With our current configuration everything works well, but we've a lot of errors in the logfile:
> >
> > "Jul 11 17:39:48 zk223 named[5383]: error (network unreachable) resolving 'askubuntu.com/A/IN': 2400:cb00:204
> 9:1::adf5:3a8e#53"
> >
> > How can we suppress them without disabling IPv6 globally?
>
> You could do something like:
>
> server 2000::/3 { bogus; };
>
> Check the syntax; I haven't!

Or Steffen could just add a tunnel to HE (https://tunnelbroker.net)
or one of the other tunnel providers.  I've been using HE for the
last 12 years.

Just about every application he is running is trying IPv6 then after
getting network unreachable going on to try IPv4.

For the record it isn't the zone.  It's enabling IPv6 locally without
having a working upstream link.  You would get that message without
the zone being configured.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC