recover missing journal files from running server

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jul 11 11:03:11 UTC 2014

Phil Pennock <bind-users+phil at spodhuis.org> wrote:

> Seeing little things like this:
>
>     deleting db.spodhuis.org.signed.jnl
>     deleting db.spodhuis.org.signed
>     deleting db.spodhuis.org.jnl
>     deleting db.spodhuis.org.jbk
>
> worry me.
>
> Is there any way to get back the on-disk state files for the
> auto-maintained zones, so that I can recover from my mistake cleanly?

Journal files mainly support incremental updates, so it is "safe" to lose
them provided you have an up-to-date zone file and you don't mind
retransferring the zones from scratch.

The main thing you need to recover is the .signed file, which you can get
using `dig axfr`. This is perhaps less tricky than persuading named to
re-write it :-)

Tony.
Trafalgar: Northerly or northeasterly 5 to 7. Moderate or rough. Fair. Good.